One of the most frequent questions we get asked here at Bluespin is, “what is a content marketing strategy”? This is a great question (and a difficult one to answer in one post).
Your content marketing strategy needs to be well thought out. You can’t just rush into it and expect to succeed. In this article, you’re going to learn the 3 most essential components of a successful content marketing strategy.
1. Setting the right kind of goals
There are smart goals, and then there are non-smart goals. Non-smart goals are basically those that don’t fit the S.M.A.R.T. criteria. What does that mean? Well, for your goal to fit this criteria, it should meet the following:
- Specific / Significant
- Measurable / Meaningful
- Achievable / Acceptable
- Realistic / Rewarding
- Time-based / Tangible
Having a SMART goal in place will help you achieve success much faster. You’re basically eliminating the fluff and focusing on what can help you accomplish your goals. You’d probably need to do some trial and error to find out what works best for your business, but you’d still be closer to your goals than if you decided to just ‘wing it.’
Looking for help setting goals? At Bluespin, we use and love Powersheets. They are our go-to tool for setting SMART goals.
2. Building an audience persona
Not knowing who to create content for has caused many content marketing strategies to fail. Quality will always trump quantity anytime. And one of the best ways to guarantee quality is knowing who your audience is. Armed with this information, you can create the kind of content that will appeal the most to them.
It will be easier to present yourself as an authority because you identify so well with your audience’s needs and their pain points. Fail to create an audience persona though, and you could be wasting all your hard work for nothing.
3. Creating valuable and shareable content
Of course, the last ingredient to a successful content marketing strategy is the content itself. When you create content that strikes a chord with your audience, then it will be so easy to persuade them to follow your call to action.
Your audience will see you as an authority, hence, it will be easier to convince them to join your mailing list. They’ll be more likely to listen to your recommendations, and you can easily monetize your content by inserting your own products or other brands’ products you’re affiliated with!
How is your content strategy going? Drop your questions in the comments below and we’ll try and answer them in an upcoming blog feature.
- Using Brand-Specific Hashtags to Target Followers - August 22, 2018
- How to Use Hashtags on the Correct Social Platform - August 20, 2018
- A Guide to Creating, Researching and Testing Hashtags - August 17, 2018
- 4 Reasons You Should Explore a Persona-Based Content Marketing Plan - August 9, 2018
- 3 Essential Components of a Successful Content Marketing Strategy - August 7, 2018
- 3 Quick and Easy Ways to Build a Profitable Opt-In List - July 20, 2018
- Essential Steps for Building an Online Business - July 19, 2018
- Top 3 Benefits of Having a Strong Social Media Presence - May 15, 2018
- 5 Ways to Use Twitter to Drive Traffic to Your Website - May 8, 2018
- 5 Tips to Drive High-Quality Traffic from YouTube - May 1, 2018