Hashtags are a social media staple but did you know they serve a different purpose on each social platform? You might also discover that hashtags are not only meant to gain posts (more likes even) though that is one of its functions, they mean so much more!
A look at the most popular social platforms…
Yes, that is right, hashtags do work on Facebook. However there is only one thing to note, only public posts can populate under hashtag hubs. As a user, one should know that Facebook algorithms view posts with hashtags as contents that were shared or scheduled using a third party site i.e. Hootsuite or Buffer and they do not like this.
Facebook wants users to use the built-in platform as much as possible, so, in case you use a hashtag know that your reach may be decreased as opposed to when not using them.
Twitter hashtags are clickable, searchable and you can also use them in your biography to show up under search results. The search results will only show public accounts tweets such as Facebook and will first be ranked depending on their popularity.
Also, Twitter has a limited number of characters that one is not supposed to exceed, 140 words per tweet hence consider using hashtags sparingly. Too many hashtags also on a tweet can make one look desperate and spammy hence choose them wisely.
Just like in Facebook and Twitter, hashtags on Instagram are also clickable and searchable. They are used to group together similar content or tie together recurring events. Anytime one uses the hashtag feature, a surge of engagement on older posts normally happens which will consequently extend the life of the past grams.
Also, public accounts in Instagram get to appear under hashtag hubs thus if your account is private you cannot access this feature. Using too many hashtags in your post also makes you look desperate.
Additionally, on Instagram, you can do a lot of hashtags, even up to 30 in a post since the character limit is great, though use them wisely.
I bet you never thought that there could be so many factors to consider when it comes to using hashtags across the different social platforms.
The truth is, each platform is unique! When used well, hashtags can be very powerful tools to gaining new followers to your posts, raise brand awareness, and connect current interactions and so much more!
Could You be Getting More Traffic From Social Media? Learn to To Use The Power Of Hashtags With ‘Hashtag Straffic Secrets’ – a FREE DOWNLOAD!
- Using Brand-Specific Hashtags to Target Followers - August 22, 2018
- How to Use Hashtags on the Correct Social Platform - August 20, 2018
- A Guide to Creating, Researching and Testing Hashtags - August 17, 2018
- 4 Reasons You Should Explore a Persona-Based Content Marketing Plan - August 9, 2018
- 3 Essential Components of a Successful Content Marketing Strategy - August 7, 2018
- 3 Quick and Easy Ways to Build a Profitable Opt-In List - July 20, 2018
- Essential Steps for Building an Online Business - July 19, 2018
- Top 3 Benefits of Having a Strong Social Media Presence - May 15, 2018
- 5 Ways to Use Twitter to Drive Traffic to Your Website - May 8, 2018
- 5 Tips to Drive High-Quality Traffic from YouTube - May 1, 2018